Friday, August 1, 2008

I Make Breastmilk, What's Your Superpower?

I have a bumper sticker on my car with that phrase on it. So let me take this opportunity to wish everyone a happy World Breastfeeding Week, which is August 1-7, 2008.

I believe that every woman who is able to do so should breastfeed her child. If you need convincing, here are 101 Reasons to Breastfeed.

I believe that a woman's right to breastfeed in public should be protected by law. In Oregon, we are lucky enough to have such a law, but mothers in other states (and countries) are not as fortunate. It's time we got over our culture's shame about breastfeeding and obsession with the breast primarily as a sexual organ. Its function, first and foremost, is to provide sustenance for children.

Here is Elliot wearing his MomMA (Mom's Milk Anywhere) t-shirt at a pro-breastfeeding in public event at Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square two summers ago.


I believe in the benefits of long-term breastfeeding. In this area, the United States is seriously lacking. Did you know that internationally, the average age until which children are breastfeed is 4 1/2? Breastfeeding toddlers is important to the health of the child and the mother, and it's important that our society publicly see toddlers breastfeeding so that the stigma surrounding this practice in our country can become a thing of the past.

Elliot nursed until he was 3 1/2, when I was three months pregnant with Imogen. Weaning was mutual, and I plan to let Imogen wean when she is ready, as well. Though I cannot find anyone who has studied this theory, I have no doubt in my mind that the fact that Elliot is on the high-functioning end of the autism spectrum has to do with the neurological benefits of breastmilk. Here is Elliot, champion nurser at three months old, and again at almost four years old, "helping" his new baby sister nurse.



I believe we have barely begun to understand the benefits of breastmilk. Recently, stem cells were discovered in breastmilk. How cool is that?

I believe that, as a society, we need to educate ourselves about breastfeeding and support nursing mothers. In a world of increasingly limited resources, rising fuel costs, poverty, and environmental devastation, we can still raise healthy children. We can still feed our children with truly miraculous breastmilk, no matter their race, class, or home town.

I applaud the increasing use of the international breastfeeding symbol by businesses and communities who are showing their support of nursing mothers and welcoming their business and presence.

Next time you see a woman nursing her baby or toddler in public, I urge you to give her a friendly smile. Let her know by your actions that you support her choice and know that she is doing the best thing she possibly can for her child. We'll be a better world for it, I promise you.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

This is a tricky issue for me, as you know. Finn and I struggled through every breastfeeding trick in the book -- over six months of teas, massage, therapy, appts. with lactation experts, relaxation, pumping every 15minutes, you name it -- and it just did not work for us, as much as I wanted it to. I couldn't express more than an ounce at a time. And when fellow mothers would say to me, "You should just do [this] or you need to try [that]," it made me feel worse. One woman actually said to me, "The problem is all in your head. Get over it." I felt guilty, as if I wasn't fit to be Finn's mother. I know now that isn't true. So I urge women to smile at mothers bottlefeeding their babies, too -- you just never know what their stories are.

Capt Gynx said...

Nancy said... When my Mom said she wanted to breast feed her doctor asked her if she "...also wanted to be a cow" She had no support and never tried. My older sister who gave birth to her first daughter before I birthed daughter Kate claimed breastfeeding to be "barbaric and unhealthy" A friend, Pat Burke, had a son about 10 months older than Kate. May this woman always be blessed. She encouraged me, educated me and is a major contribution to my success. This was against a lot of family opposition and even one friend asking me "Do you think nursing makes you a better catholic?" What? My Mom finally told me what her doctor had said and that she was envious of my experience. Both Kate and Thomas nursed until they were between 18 and 20 months old. Both of them weaned themselves. I have had the honor of helping other women and being proud of Kate & Brittney, Most of all I have wonderful memories of my little nursing babies' hand patting me as they smiled up at me. I smile at all moms and coo at every baby.

Brittney Corrigan said...

Kerry, I completely agree with you. Maybe I should have said more about every mother who is able to breastfeed, as well as those who really, really tried. I know many mothers like yourself who tried everything, to no avail. You're such a superstar for trying so hard for so long. You're right, we should smile at the bottlefeeding mothers, too, because we don't know their reasons. I think 99% of the mothers out there are doing their best by their kids, and what's most important is that we support each other as women and parents. So thanks so much for your comments. Finn is amazingly lucky to have you as his mama.