Thursday, August 7, 2008

It's the Little Things

My children remind me daily that it's the little things in life that really matter. Stop and smell the roses, after all.

The other day, Imogen was staring intensely at a fly on the porch railing, pointing her little finger at it and cooing at it over and over again. Her fascination with the fly made me lean in closer to examine it, thinking, am I missing something here? It's a fly. And I realized I'd never taken the time to notice how beautiful a fly's wings are - shimmery and translucent in the sun - and how complex of an animal it really is, little legs all working to groom itself and examine the world. Though, to be fair, it was outside and not on my dinner plate, or I might have just shooed it away. Instead, I slowed down and appreciated another living thing with my daughter who talks to insects.

There's something to be said for slowing down to drink in the world around you. Here is Imogen closely examining some grass on the front sidewalk.


She also communes with larger animals.


And I've been taking time this week to appreciate how much progress Elliot has made in the sensory department, one baby step at a time. This week, he sat still for nearly 40 minutes while a dentist put all manner of things in his mouth to repair a cavity. He also covered himself in shaving cream in the bathtub when Nona came to babysit. And here he is having a blast at sensory time at fun school.


Speaking of School of Autism, here's another little thing you can do to support the school. We've set up a shop for SOA on Cafe Press, where you can order apparel, mugs, tote bags, etc. with the school logo on them, and a portion of the proceeds go to the school. Every penny helps.

And on the other end of the spectrum, I slowed down this week to appreciate a little bit of artsy craftsmanship. One of our wonderful local kids' boutiques, Milagros, carries several items by local craftspeople, including hand-sewn dresses. They are the kind of thing you would only buy as gifts, never for yourself. And since Imogen has been the recipient of several bags of hand-me-downs, all the way up to size 4T, I have no excuse for buying her anything. But I just couldn't resist this fabulous creation, which won't fit her for another two years.


Here is a detail of the fabric and the tarot card pockets.


Really, I wish it came in my size.

Finally, today I want to remember that every minute of every day is important, and matters, and is a gift. My grandfather is in the hospital after having a small stroke yesterday. Grandad, those of us who are not there with you are thinking about you. We love you and are thinking good thoughts for your recovery. Every little bit of love counts.

No comments: