Thursday, July 31, 2008

Children Who Run With the Wolves

Elliot's school has been closed most of this week so that the teachers can attend the Southeastern Washington Autism Conference and learn lots of great things to bring back to the kiddos. I really can't complain about the school being closed, since it only happens a couple of weeks out of the entire year, but it's always a challenge keeping the boy occupied!

Yesterday, I took the kids to the Oregon Zoo, where we hadn't been for a couple of years. The last time we went, Elliot was obsessed with railroad crossing signs, and we didn't get past the signs that marked the zoo train outside the elephant exhibit. We visited the railroad crossing signs this time, but only briefly.


We did the whole zoo this time around. Imogen was way more interested in the animals than Elliot, but we all had a great time walking around. For comparison, here is Elliot on the John Deere tractor at the farm exhibit yesterday and in January, 2005.


And I know I have another picture of Elliot by this same carving a couple of summers ago, but apparently it's not in digital form, so I can't show it to you here. One of the things I like best about Portland's zoo is the cool art that's all over the grounds.


I've always had conflicted feelings about zoos. I know they play an integral role in species conservation and in educating the public about the importance of the natural world. But I've always thought so many of the animals in the zoo look kind of sad. The polar bear was walking a few steps forward, then back, wagging his head, and looked completely miserable. And there's something just wrong about two bald eagles in a cage, even if it's a really big one. But the meerkats seemed happy enough, even if they were quite a bit chunkier than their wild cousins.


That was the only animal shot I took. The wildlife photographer wannabe in me just can't bring myself to take pictures of animals in enclosures. But we were communing with mister fatty meerkat, so I couldn't resist.

Elliot really wanted to see the wolves, but alas, the zoo just lost its last gray wolf a couple of weeks ago. Elliot was hoping to howl with them. But we did find these cool wolf statues.


We also checked out the kids' sculpture garden, where Imogen finally got to escape the backpack and throw dirt all over her head.


And finally, here is Elliot swinging like a monkey outside the orangutan exhibit.


When I asked Elliot what his favorite thing at the zoo was, he said it was the elevator at the light rail station across from the zoo entrance, even though we didn't get to ride it because it was out of order. The northern spotted owl was a close second, though, since we didn't get to hang out with the wolves. Aroooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

1 comment:

Kerry said...

We go to the zoo specifically for that John Deere tractor. And the safari truck.

I agree with you on how sad the animals often look. The elephant enclosure is a disgrace, but I read that they are hoping to expand and improve it.