Monday, July 7, 2008

Boo

Those of you who know me well know that I love a good scary movie. And I don't mean a slasher flick (though I do have a fond memories of watching terrible B-movies with my pals in high school). I'm talking really, really scary. The what-you-don't-see-is-scarier-than-what-you-do-see, edge-of-your-seat suspense, give-you-nightmares kind of scary, with a touch of the supernatural thrown in.

My favorite director is M. Night Shyamalan. He's original, and his films are downright spooky. Yes, he's the guy who directed The Sixth Sense. But my personal favorite of his is The Village. I love that his movies often have surprise endings, and I love watching for his cameo in each flick. Yesterday, Thomas and I went on a date (no kids!) to see his new movie, The Happening. It's his first R-rated flick, and I must say I was really disappointed. No matter how much I tried to like the movie, him being my favorite director and all, it just wasn't very good. Too much what-you-see and not enough what-you-don't see for me, and the dialog was horrible. A pity, really, because the story idea is really original and had a lot of potential. And it did have a couple of really well done scenes, like the one from the previews with the people walking off the building.

It's ok, M. Night. I still love you. I still can't wait to see what you'll come up with next. Go back to PG-13, though. Go back to those scenes like the one in Signs in which the characters are holding a baby monitor up to the sky in the middle of a corn field listening for aliens, no soundtrack, just the crackle on the other end. It's a hair-raising scene. Just my kind of scary.

So, since The Happening was a let-down, I thought I'd recommend a few of my favorite scary movies to y'all (no, The Blair Witch Project did not make this list - I hated it and was bored silly - but The Ring came close and would have made the list if it was a little less slasher-ish).

1. The Changeling from 1980, starring George C. Scott. Ghost stories are my favorite, and this one is my favorite ghost story of all time. I still have nightmares about this flick.

2. The Village (see M. Night Shyamalan, above).

3. The Forgotten, starring Julianne Moore (one of my favorite actresses). So unique, so suspenseful, and so chilling.

4. The Others, starring Nicole Kidman. Another fantastic ghost story.

5. Panic Room, starring Jodie Foster. Love Jodie Foster. This one will give you an ulcer, it's so edge-of-your seat.

6. The Lost Room, a mini-series that ran on the SCI-FI channel, but it makes the list because it's absolutely brilliant.

7. The X-Files. This TV series from the 1990s makes the list for the same reason. But I'm talking about when it was still Mulder and Scully and before it started to suck. I'm really looking forward to the new X-Files movie coming out in a couple of weeks.

Sadly, Thomas is not a big fan of scary movies. I end up (stupidly) watching them by myself when he's out of town. But I manage to drag him to the theater once in awhile, and he does love the sci-fi, so that's something.

On a completely different note, I can't possibly wrap this up without meeting your cute kid quota for the day. Here is a video of Imogen having a fantastic time on the swing this past weekend.



With that voice, maybe she'll grow up to act in a good horror flick. As long as it's not a slasher, she'll make her Mama proud.

3 comments:

Kerry said...

There's a thing in the news this morning about how a mother's brain releases the exact same chemicals when seeing her baby smile as it does when she eats good food, takes fun drugs or has the s-e-x. So that video of Imogen is your cheaper, healthier, less fattening and way less time-consuming buzz!

Leslie said...

Hey B!
Great laughter from that little one. I think those chemicals extend to grandmothers too!
I thought The Changeling was amazing as well and really liked The Village. Thanks for your list -- several I haven't yet seen. Perhaps will have to join you in your living room one of these times for "scary movie" night.

JC said...

I have to say Thank You for Putting the Lost Room on your list. Superb, wasn't it? It blew me away. I loved it.

Although I'm not a huge fan of Shamylan, having been one of the people watching B-flicks with you in HS, I'll let you pass with a few questionable choices. :)

Anyhow, I'd like to make a recommendation to you if you can find it. The Cube (I don't think it was ever released mainstream) was pretty "edge of your seat" tense. I wouldn't call it horror, but I think you might like.

And no comments on my lack of blogging. I've never been very good at it. Love ya. Miss ya! Next time you're here, we have to do a scary movie night at my place. :)