Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween, McElroy Style

Boo! I hope everyone out there had a fabulous, spooky Halloween. Ours was pretty darn great. First off, I have to introduce you to George. George is a macrame skeleton that my mom made sometime in the 1970s. I have been fond of George since I was a kid, and I looked forward to his emergence from the closet (snicker) each Halloween. A few years ago, I asked my mom if she could make me my own George. She looked all over the internet for the pattern, to no avail. Well, this year, George showed up at my house wrapped up in birthday paper. I can't believe that my mom was willing to part with him, but I was SO excited to see him again! Here he is hanging in a place of honor in the living room, keeping Elliot company. Thanks, mom!


The kids and I carved our pumpkins on Halloween afternoon. Here is Elliot's little "scary" pumpkin hanging out in the graveyard.


And here is the big "silly" pumpkin preparing to welcome trick-or-treaters.


Elliot decided that we should all be characters from Blue's Clues this Halloween. Here we are as Blue (Elliot), Steve (Thomas), Periwinkle the cat (Imogen), and Tickety Tock (me).


And here is Papa preparing to head out trick-or-treating with the kiddos (Elliot wouldn't wear the Blue headpiece after the first 30 seconds!).


Imogen enjoyed trick-or-treating much more than last year.


But once we got her back inside, she was completely immobilized by her costume. Silly kitty forgot how to walk!


We had many more trick-or-treaters visit our spooky abode than last year, and we had a lovely evening with family and friends. I was all set to watch The Changeling, my favorite horror flick which I had finally found after calling 4 video rental places, but my companions for the evening were a bunch of horror movie wimps. Not to worry, I have it for a few more days, and I'm going to force at least Thomas to cowboy up and watch it with me.

It was also an eventful Halloween in that two sets of our good friends tied the knot! A big congratulations to Matt and Sarah (finally, you guys!), and to Keiko and Lisa. For Keiko and Lisa, the timing is particularly significant, since they live in California. That state has a measure on the ballot next week, Prop 8, which would eliminate same-sex marriage. The state will hopefully be honoring all same-sex marriages that took place before November 4th if Prop 8 passes, but even that possibility is in question. I'd like to urge all of you Californians to please vote NO on Prop 8 next Tuesday.

And finally, happy Day of the Dead! Today I'd like to particularly remember my brother-in-law, Michael, who died this July.

And now the countdown to the election! I hope everyone out there is planning to vote!

No comments: