Thursday, June 12, 2008

Think About Kitty Cats

When I was a little girl, if I was sad, or sick, or had woken up from a nightmare, my mom would tell me to "think about kitty cats." And it always worked. I did feel happier, and I could always fall back to sleep. You should try it sometime. It still works for me. Thinking about kitty cats always makes me feel better.

Which is why my favorite scene on the TV show Scrubs is a hilarious J.D. daydream about a kitten cure for a broken heart. You can check it out here. Another of my favorite kitten comedy moments is a comic strip I kept for years - Mr. Boffo. The character is looking at the classified ads and exclaims, with an I-can't-believe-it look on his face, "Free kittens?!?!?". It still makes me giggle. Anyway. Y'all probably think I'm nuts now. I'll have you know I'm nowhere near as crazy as my husband, who spends ridiculous amounts of time looking at silly pictures of cats on the internet each Saturday on the Caturday website.

Well, a love for cats appears to be genetic. If Imogen is crying, she will immediately stop if I say the word "kitty" to her. I kid you not. My first word was "kitty," and I expect it to be her first word, too. Here she is playing with Tess and Greg's cats, Lucy and Spooky Jack, on Orcas Island last weekend.



Our own cats are doing quite well after a year in our new house. Cooper is quite the old man - he's 16 now and looking arthritic and scraggly, but he's still the affectionate scaredy cat that he ever was. Rufus is large and in charge, as usual. Here they are hanging out on the back porch this morning, waiting for the June sun that we hope will finally arrive this weekend.


And on a completely unrelated note, a big thank you to Michael for finishing the wallpaper removal and paint job on our kitchen. The final product looks lovely, and I'm finding a nice pale green a much more welcoming cooking and eating environment than grammatically incorrect wallpaper. Here are some before and after shots.



Ok, back to playing with the kitty cats. My neighbor around the corner has a cat who just had kittens a few weeks ago. I'm hoping to take Imogen to meet them sometime soon. I'm going to try really hard not to come home with one. Who doesn't love a soft, frisky kitten? Meow!!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Hey, if your neighbor is trying to find homes for the kittens and any of them are long-haired, let me know! We're thinking of getting Finn his first pet.