Monday, June 30, 2008

Lola Can't Always Get What She Wants

This past weekend Thomas was at SOAK, the Portland regional Burning Man event. The regional events are a bit more low-key than the main event - really more of a weekend camping trip (but louder and more bedecked). SOAK is held at a gorgeous piece of property in the woods outside of Salem, Oregon. Instead of being completely abandoned for the long weekend, this year the kids and I decided to join Thomas for the last two days of the event.

I decided to attend the event largely due to the lure of the trailer that Thomas recently acquired to take to Burning Man (he's on staff this year), which is equipped with running water, refrigeration, a bathroom, and air conditioning. So I figured I'd have a plush retreat for the kiddos if they got bored or hot. Unfortunately, there were too many people drawing from the circuit the trailer was plugged into, and the air conditioning wouldn't stay on. Also unfortunately, it was nearly 100 degrees. I'll admit it, I am NOT a happy camper when it's hot. So I didn't end up enjoying the event much (and I hereby apologize to everyone who was there for my surliness!), but the kids had a really great time.

Across from our camp was Kids Villa, where there were several fun things for the maybe two dozen kids at the event to do. Center stage at Kids Villa was a trampoline (this one off the ground, unlike the one in our backyard). You'd have thought Elliot had never seen a trampoline before. He spent the majority of our time at the event bouncing on it with kids about twice his size (and holding his own). Elliot also really liked the fire truck that was on site to oversee the burning of the Man. Here he is checking out the cab and the mirrored hub caps.


And here is the super cool Man that was built for the event this year, upside down and complete with clown wig and shoes.


I went to bed in the finally-cooled-down trailer with the kids before the burn on Saturday night, but it was apparently a good show. The kids and I headed back to Portland Sunday morning before the temperature had a chance to get boiling again, and Thomas joined us by evening.

I learned two things at the event.

One. My Burning Man days are probably over, at least until the kids are older (though Elliot was a total champ, and Imogen was mostly happy even though she couldn't get off my sweaty back very often to crawl around). I should remember that I don't like heat, I don't like noise, and I don't like crowds and keep my grumpy butt home next time. I do like art and crazy costumed people and being outside, though. So you never know. Maybe I'll give SOAK a try again next year if it's not ten bazillion degrees.

Two. Elliot is the best little boy ever. He was the youngest kid playing on the trampoline and was having the best time of anyone, even though the bigger kids were pretty mean to him on several occasions. A positive flip side to the part of Elliot's autism that makes him oblivious to the fact that kids are being mean to him is that he doesn't get his feelings hurt. And I know that he'll never be the mean kid himself. He did a great job of interacting with the kids and trying to make up games, despite the older kids' occasional confusion or irritation with him. He's a super star.

So, SOAK wasn't a total wash (pun intended). Imogen was admired by all and Elliot had a fantastic time. I'll rediscover Lola (my nom-de-playa) someday. Until then, I'll leave the Burn to Thomas (aka @pparatus, his Ranger handle) and be here to welcome him home when he returns.

No comments: