Friday, June 13, 2008

As The Crow Flies

I wanted to let everyone know that Thomas's brother, Michael (Uncle Mike), was found dead yesterday evening. We do not yet know what happened, except that he was found behind a church, taken to a hospital, and could not be revived. We will let you all know when we have more details.

We will be spending today with Nancy, Vic, and Patrick, and Thomas's sister Kate is arriving from Michigan this afternoon. There will be a memorial service in Portland in the next few days and one in Michigan in the coming weeks.

We are especially grateful to have spent last weekend with Michael on Orcas Island. We had an amazing trip, and we will carry those memories of him close to our hearts.

For those of you who didn't know him, Michael was one of the kindest, most thoughtful, and funniest people you could ever meet. Despite his troubled life, he always came home to his family. He was incredibly good with his nieces and nephews, and I know that both Elliot and Imogen are going to miss having him around. Here he is with both of them last weekend on Orcas.



Yesterday afternoon while I was playing with the kids upstairs in the play room, a crow flew into the window. I'm sure it was Michael coming to say goodbye to us. When Michael's twin, Mitchell died almost 9 years ago, two hawks flew into windows - one at Thomas's office building downtown, and another on the reservation where the twins were born in Munsee, Ontario.

Michael, wherever you are, may you now rest easy. We'll miss you.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry to hear this.

Best wishes to your family.

Love, Noah

Tiara said...

I'm very sorry to hear about this. Please let me know if I can cover for any of the Ranger stuff. Happy to do whatever I can to help clear time for your family to be together.

JC said...

Hey Love-

I'm so sorry to hear about Michael. I know there is not much I can do from afar, but know I'm thinking about you guys and keeping your family in my thoughts and my heart.

Jim