Monday, April 14, 2008

Closer to One

Imogen is 7 months old today. She is now officially closer to one year old than birth. Go, girlie! And now for my favorite part of the month - the comparison photos of Elliot and Imogen at 7 months old. Imogen is even sporting her first barrette, which Papa styled for her.


Today in honor of Autism Awareness Month I'd like to give y'all my recommendations for some interesting books on the subject. Of course make sure to check out everything by Ellen Notbohm, which I highlighted in my first post this month. I would also like to point you to the following books:

Expecting Teryk, by Dawn Prince-Hughes. It is written by a lesbian with autism and is the journal of her partner's pregnancy and the birth of their son. It is beautifully written and gives insight into what it is like to be an adult with autism as well as discussing the issue of disability and parenthood.

Thinking in Pictures, by Temple Grandin. Ms. Grandin is an adult with autism best known for her design of the most humane slaughterhouses possible.

I also plan to read a book that was recommended by friends, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. It's a novel told in the voice of a 15-year old boy with autism. I can't vouch for it myself yet, but it's supposed to be quite good.

Now I'm off to pick up Elliot from his second day of preschool with teacher Jessica. He was a little sad about going today, but hopefully when I get there I'll find he had a wonderful time.

No comments: