Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Unexpected

Remember the high hopes we had for our garden, despite the fact that we got a late start, back in May? It was the first time we had grown a garden from seed, and we were even inspired enough to create artsy garden stakes for our vegetables. It was a fabulous weekend of planting, and we then proceeded to spend the entire summer neglecting our new plot. I think we pulled weeds once, and even then we only got through half the real estate. We watered sporadically, even in the 100-degree weeks, and all of the greens bolted and went to seed on our watch.

Well, despite our woeful neglect, our spunky garden is offering up a respectable bounty. Though the tomato plants were never staked and the vines are creeping along the ground, they are producing a lovely crop of several different varieties of fruit. We have harvested a few enormous and delicious cucumbers. The broccoli is starting to make headway (pun intended), and the melons and pumpkins are ripening in the September sun.

And my favorite beauty is a perfect butternut squash. I am especially proud of having grown a squash (well, I really had little to do with it!), since anyone who knows me knows I have detested the entire squash and zucchini family for my entire life. But I will now eat sweet winter squashes, thanks to having some good cooks for friends and family. Here is this past weekend's harvest.


In another unexpected turn of events, it appears that Imogen is a southpaw. We were thinking she might actually be ambidextrous, but she is definitely not right-handed. As I'm watching her sort small playdoh containers while I write this, she is primarily using her left hand. Thomas doesn't know of any lefties on his side of the family, but both my dad and my nephew, Wolf, are lefties. So Imogen may have the distinction of being the only girl southpaw in the family. Kind of cool. Here she is snuggling with her crazy right-handed Papa and brother this morning.


Also unexpected today was Elliot's coloring spree. He only started scribbling in the last year or so, having had no prior interest in crayons or coloring whatsoever. He mostly likes to finger paint, but when he does put washable marker to paper, it's usually to write letters or numbers, or to write his name. But clearly he is learning all sorts of things in school this year! Today he asked for my Sharpies (not washable, but what are ya gonna do?) and some paper and produced these drawings.

First up, here is his ever-favorite topic of conversation, an elevator. He's actually drawing these all over the place these days - on his doodle pad and with chalk on the trampoline. When he gets really inspired, he also draws the up and down arrows and numbered buttons. (As a side note, a friend sent me a link to an online elevator museum today, and I can't wait to show it to him when he gets home from school!)


But this drawing is my favorite. When I asked him what it was, he said in a tone that clearly indicated that it should be obvious, "It's a person!" I about fell over. I've never seen him draw a picture like this before, and the uber-coolness of his masterpiece was not lost on Mama. I asked him to sign his name (which he did across the person's tummy), and I promptly hung it up on the fridge.


I like days with these kinds of unexpected surprises (as opposed to, say, waking up in the middle of the night to a sick kid). So today I wish on all of you an unexpected, wonderful thing. Let me know what happens!

1 comment:

Kerry said...

A southpaw? She'd make some big money as a pitcher. Maybe by the time she grows up, they'll allow women to play in the majors.

As for unexpected, I bet a penny in the 1-cent slots in Vegas and won $11. With that return-on-investment, I believe I am now what they call a "high roller."