Saturday, September 13, 2008

I Heart The Dollar Store

First, a couple of shout outs. Happy birthday to my wonderful mother-in-law, Nancy! Last year at this time she was lobbying hard for Imogen to be born on her birthday, but little girl wanted her very own day. Nancy gets to keep her birthday all to herself today, and we hope she has a great one!

Also, a big congratulations to my cousin Tim and his wife, Elexis. They just found out this week that the baby they are expecting on February 1st is a girl. Hooray! Imogen is already looking forward to sending the wee lassie Lamberton her adorable hand-me-downs.

Finally, a giant thank you to Terry, who knit a fabulous sweater and hat set for Imogen. My favorite thing about the super cute sweater is the buttons, which have Beatrix Potter characters on them. I don't know if Terry knows about my love of illustrated children's books, but the sweater is a big hit with both Imogen and Mama! Here it is.


Recently, I have been keeping my eye out for items to build a good dress up collection for the kids. And I must tell you that I love the dollar store. I can't help it. I know, I know, it's full of things that are made in China and plenty of crap-ola. But it's also a ton of fun. I went there this week to get supplies for Miss Idgie's birthday party, and I found a treasure trove of fabulous dress-up items, including:

1. A gigantic pink hat with yellow polka dots.
2. A pair of green plush bear claws (or monster hands, as we like to call them).
3. A blue police helmet.
4. A set of orange fairy wings, fairy skirt, and fairy shoes.

And there was plenty more where those came from. I'm looking forward to going back in the next couple of weeks to stock up for Halloween. The kids have been having a great time with the new dress-up box items. Here is Imogen trying out the polka dot hat and monster hands.


The polka dot hat has also been popular with the kittens. Here is Ismene playing hide-and-seek.


So that's just the kind of girl I am. I get just as excited about a trip to the land of everything's a dollar as I do about a gorgeous hand-made sweater with Peter Rabbit and Jemima Puddle Duck buttons. Ok, maybe I get more excited about the sweater. But still. That dollar store was my favorite outing of the week.

I'll leave you with this picture of Imogen eating Os. She's finally decided that solid food is ok to swallow.


Stay tuned for birthday pictures soon!

2 comments:

Hello, I'm Sally. said...

I'm totally with you on the dollar store! Thanks for reminding me because Violet really wants some more dress up stuff.

Kerry said...

Love the dollar store. Love love love it.

And holy cow, that little girl of yours, Brittney -- she is just too sweet!