Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Tell Me A Story

Today is my sweet sixteen. And not the one when I got my driver's license. Today is the sixteenth anniversary of my first date with Thomas.

Thomas and I met through a mutual friend at Reed College. It was the spring of my sophomore year, and Thomas was taking classes at the community college and applying to go to Reed, as well as working as a caregiver for an AIDS hospice. Thomas and I had met on a couple of different occasions that spring, and while dancing in the Reed Commons during Renn Fayre weekend, he asked for my phone number. Neither of us had pen or paper, and so, in a completely untypical gesture for me, I took my finger and outlined my number on his chest. And he remembered it. He called me the next day and asked me out.

I didn't date in high school, and I had only had one boyfriend while at Reed, so dating was a new and somewhat intimidating thing for me. Thomas came to pick me up in his ancient Volvo station wagon, wearing his Mickey Mouse suspenders. He was altogether charming (that hasn't changed!). I'm terrible at small talk, so when we got into the car, I said, "Tell me a story." Serendipitously, he had just been told the Native American story of Jumping Mouse by a friend from his folklore class. He didn't miss a beat and began telling the story to me. I think I fell in love on the spot.

We went downtown to First Thursday, a monthly art gallery walk here in Portland. We visited the galleries and the Portland Art Museum and then headed to Escape From New York Pizza for dinner. Then we took a walk on the Hawthorne Bridge, which at the time was closed for repair, and he held my hand (sweet, huh?). We spent the rest of the evening at my house talking about everything, everything, into the wee hours (and that's all you get to hear about what happened that night!).

So, here we are 16 years later, with two kids, a grown-up house, and coming up on our 11th wedding anniversary.


I knew from day one that Thomas was the love of my life. It may get lost sometimes in the chaos and challenge of raising young children, but I daily appreciate his passion, humor, intelligence, wit, compassion, honesty, loyalty to friends and family, and dedication as a husband and father (and he's a handsome fellow, to boot).

We've never been much for anniversary presents or celebrations, but here are the two best presents Thomas has ever given me.


I don't think I remember to say thank you enough. Or I love you. So, Thomas, here's my anniversary present to you today. Thank you for being an amazing husband, father, and human being. I love you.

1 comment:

Capt Gynx said...

I remember,too. Soon after Thomas & Brittney met, my father, Thomas' Papa, passed away. I offered Thomas a plane ticket to come home for the funeral. It was exam time and Thomas offered"Why don't you use the ticket to come to Portland and let me take care of you" I did that following month. There is nothing more beautiful than Portland in June. When Thomas picked me up in that same old Volvo he told me he had met someone special. That was an understatement. So, Happy 16th Anniversary. How Sweet it is! Love Mom