Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Ya Gotta Love People

People are so darn crazy sometimes, you just have to appreciate your silly fellow humans. Two examples from the past few days:

1. The kids and I were sitting in the car in the parking lot of Walgreen's , waiting for Mr. Vic Victor to get a prescription. As I was sitting there, I caught sight in my side view mirror, which had a view of the New Season's parking lot behind me, of a woman standing at the trunk of her car holding a pink hula hoop. She was probably around 60, with bright pink socks peeking out from under her long coat. She didn't appear to be waiting for anyone, or with anyone, or to otherwise have any reason to be hanging out at the back of her car in a crowded parking lot after loading up her groceries. She proceeded to slip the hula hoop over her head and attempt to swivel it with her hips, probably 3-4 times. She then tossed the hoop to the row of cars across from her and tossed her keys into it like she was playing lawn darts. Then she retrieved the hoop and put it into the back of her car with her groceries. It made my day.

2. When I drive Elliot to school, he likes to detour around the park on the way. Yesterday, while driving along the back side of the park, I noticed a man up ahead who had pulled his car to the side of the park and was unloading a large cage from the back. As we got closer, I could see that the cage was full of squirrels. I can only assume he had trapped them in his yard. (Can you really keep squirrels from hanging out in your yard? Futile, me thinks!) As we drove past, he lifted the door on the cage, and the squirrels went darting into the park. I hope they made friends and were accepted in their new neighborhood. And I've been left to wonder, what kind of person is bothered enough by squirrels in his yard that he wants to get rid of them, and yet soft-hearted enough to spend the time trapping them, driving them to a park, and releasing them to a "better" life?

And speaking of funny humans, I leave you with Miss Imogen modeling her new hat I picked up at the consignment sale last weekend for two bucks (and where I spent 1 1/2 hours in line - now who's the crazy one?).


Happy out like a lamb day (though we're getting plenty of rain here today - but the yard is abloom with daffodils, crocuses, camellia, and plum blossoms).

No comments: