Thursday, December 4, 2008

Arts & Crafts

My New Year's resolution back in January, 2007 was to learn to knit socks. Then I found out I was pregnant, and I just didn't get back to knitting for awhile. Now I'm finally taking the plunge! I'm taking a toe-up socks on two circular needles class from my friend Chrissy, sock knitter and designer extraordinaire, at Twisted, one of our local yarn shops. The first class was last night, and it was a blast. We are starting out with baby socks (less intimidating for the first attempt!). I'm hoping these little beauties will fit Imogen. Last night we completed the toe, as you can see here.


I also recently took a class from my friend Chris, who just started a cooking school called Lost Arts Kitchen in her home. I took her cheese making class, in which we learned to make neufchatel, ricotta, mozzarella, and yogurt. Yum! For those of you in Portland interested in cooking and in learning about local foods and slow food traditions, I highly recommend checking out her class offerings.

And if knitting and cheese making weren't enough, I also bought myself a sewing machine for my birthday and am determined to (re)learn to sew. I've managed to set up a table and get it out of the box, but I've yet to crack the instructional DVD and practice on some fabric. I may have to wait until my mom comes to visit in January (sound good, mom?). My first project is going to be curtains for Elliot's room (we'll see if I can find fabric with elevators on it).

And in honor of the gorgeous, sunny day we're having here today, here are some pictures of the kiddos enjoying a day at the park (though this was a couple of weeks ago). The swings were cause for much glee.




Happy December, everyone!

No comments: