Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ladybug Picnic

Our bedroom has been invaded by ladybugs. And there are a lot more than a dozen at this picnic! We had a couple of sunny Indian summer days this past week, and ladybugs were flying all over the place outside our second story window. However, we have no idea how they are getting inside said window. Here are a couple of shots of one corner of one window.

Now picture that over four corners of four window panes and you'll have an idea what we're dealing with here. And no matter how harmless they are, no one wants to feel something crawling on her neck at 3am. Elliot is enjoying catching them as they escape from the windowsill and putting them back on the panes. And Thomas continues to catch batches of them in Elliot's bug catching jars and releases them outside on the rose bushes.

My favorite ladybug moment so far (well, it's funny in retrospect) was when I was nursing Imogen on the bed a few days ago. Elliot was watching (his favorite activity) and asking, "Who's having nursie?". I said, "Imogen". And then Elliot said, "And who else?". And I said, "Mama is giving her nursie". And he said, "And who else?". I said, "No one". At which point Elliot said, "Ladybug is having nursie," and promptly dropped a ladybug on Imogen's face. In a completely disproportionate reaction, I shrieked and flung the ladybug across the room. Mother bear instinct, and all. It was only afterwards that I appreciated the planning Elliot must have put into his little joke - gathering the ladybug and holding her through the whole setup. What a card.

Anyhow, it could be worse. Like ants. Or termites. Or bees.

I'll leave you with some pictures of the adorable children.


1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 ladybugs came to the ladybug picnic! Sheesh.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi ya'll! Can't believe you've already had that cute little baby. Love your site and hope to see you again someday during one of my visits back to Portland.

No rain here...

Rose

JC said...

I busted out in hysterics at the "Who is having nursie?" joke. Your little man is SUPER SMART. What an amazing personality. You know that's something I would have done.

Miss seeing you here in CO. Yes I'm selfish. Hope to get to see you four really soon.